Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Roscommon County Library research, Rooney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maggiemole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Roscommon County Library research, Rooney Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a researcher living in Roscommon town? I'd like someone to try and find an obituary or report of the funeral of my GGM, Bridget Rooney nee Garvey, of Fuerty, and as I don't know the year (only that she was born 1849 and still alive in 1918) it will take some work. I have a feeling she died between 1920 and 1925, but could be wrong. (If anyone can tell me how, apart from a trip to Dublin, I can verify the date, I'd be almost as grateful!) Her children will have come back from the USA for the funeral, and I would love to know their names, as I have a brick wall on her daughters under married names.

I'm willing to pay a fee. The library are very helpful, but if there isn't an index of eg the Roscommon Champion, it will be a matter of looking at individual newspapers, which I suspect would be too much for them.

Thanks!
Maggie Berry
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie,

Have you checked the following pages on this website (www.leitrim-roscommon.com/)?
Griffith’s Valuation for Fuetry Civil parish,
1901 Census – there is a likely entry for your family.
Map page - Fuerty Civil parish.

It is not expensive to get a extract from the Death Register.

Have you contacted the Roscommon Champion (Google search address)? There are two other newspapers in County roscommon.

Try your local library for the Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD

John
maggiemole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thank you for that quick response. Yes, I've got the 1901 and even the 1911 census showing my family in Fuerty: I've also spotted the GV reference, and am assuming the Rooney at the National School is one of mine, but he's too early to help me solve this problem.

I also have your great Resource CD which I use quite a lot, but again, the information tends to look at a time before 1900, and I know Bridget was alive in 1918.

What I did not know is that I can get a death extract from the Register. Do you know how I can do that when I am not sure of the year? I thought you had to turn up in person in Dublin and trawl through the books to locate the reference first.

The Roscommon Champion has donated all its archives to the Library, as I know from a previous search for a great-uncle's obituary, but in that case I knew the date precisely, so it was easy for them. That's why I was asking about research at the Library. I looked at the Independent, but they didn't seem to have any reference to an archive at all. Perhaps I should also find the third newspaper and ask both of them where their archived material is. Thanks for that suggestion.

best wishes
Maggie
Andrew Garrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie

It seems like the key here is to find a definite death date for your great-grandmother. I only know two places to check that - one is the GRO in Dublin, which may not be very practical for you, depending on where you are; the other is the LDS films at the LDS Family History Centres. They have films of the Irish BMD indexes (I have used these at the London FHC). You would need to browse these quarter by quarter, they usually have around 2 years worth on each film. Once you find the relevant entry this will give you the quarter-year and index ref for the death record. With this, you can order a copy of the death certificate from the Irish GRO. You would then know more accurately where to look in the newspapers.

An alternative option would be to get an Irish researcher to check the GRO records in Dublin for you and get the index and certificate that way (the GRO or the NLI will be able to give you a list of Dublin-based researchers).
maggiemole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd actually got that info off-list from John Hunter, and made a visit to the London LDS family history centre. Trawling their films, as you say, is a matter for patience but I did find both my great-grandparents' deaths references, and the GRO in Roscommon has now provided me with certificates, which is great. I have now asked the Roscommon Library if they can find any obituaries just after the exact dates (they hold the archive for the Roscommon Champion) and am keeping my fingers crossed that something will have been published.

So all is almost accomplished, without having to find and employ a local researcher, and I'm very grateful for the advice given by the list.

Happy Christmas to all!
Maggie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: