Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Finding my Grandfather Terence CREIGHTON

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Finding my Grandfather Terence CREIGHTON Reply with quote

Hello!

Re: Terence Creighton (my Grandfather)

My Grandfather was born in Ireland but to date no luck in finding him! we have been to his grave in Queenstown New Zealand.

We have tried an agent (no luck) we have tried the Civil Registration office and they did not find him after searching the years 1883-1887, we believe he may not have been registered civilly but definitely Christened in a Catholic Church in Leitrim.

What we have so far is as follows:

Name: Terence CREIGHTON

Born: 1885 (+ - 2years) Country Leitrim, on his wedding certificate dated 16th June 1908 it stated he was 23 years of age, he was married in England to Ann Oliphant, at the time of his marriage he listed his occupation as Ironworker

His father also named Terence was recorded on the Marriage Certificate as Deceased and his occupation was also listed as an Ironworker

We have had looked through the births, deaths and marriages in England we cannot locate any record of my Great grandparents deaths, so we are assuming they remained in Ireland.?

Mothers Birth Name: Catherine possibly DRUM or DRUMM was her maiden name

Fathers Name: Terence CREIGHTON

Fathers Occupation: Iron Worker

My question is because of my Grandfathers parents being Iron workers where are the most likely Parishes in County Leitrim where he would have been Christened? if you could assist or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful

What we have found is one James Creighton from Tully in County Leitrim we found him via the Poor Law Union records.

We also found we believe the same James Creighton married 1848 via the civil records, plus

Patrick Creighton married Anne Kellaher, baptism record of their son John 24 March 1864, plus

Catherine Creighton, it is possible James, Patrick and Catherine were siblings

There are baptism or birth records for:

Mary 1854, George 1855, Patrick 1859, Thomas 1861, John 1864, Mary 1866, Catherine 1870, Rose 1871, Michael 1873, Margaret 1876, John 1881, Bridget 1882, Peter 1883, William 1884, Bridget 1886, Peter 1888, Patrick 1889, Mary Agnes 1890

However neither of the Terence’s (grandfather or great grandfather) are recorded

Thank you to anyone who can be of assistance

Jenny Lloyd (nee Creighton)

Tel: +64-9- 4290-404 Fax: +64-9- 4290-904
Email: geoff.lloyd@xtra.co.nz

Smile
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the 1880s most, though by no means all, births were registered, so it's more likely than not that your Terence was registered somewhere.
Have you considered the surname might have been spelled differently before he settled in New Zealand? I did a search on the Leitrim Heritage Centre Website which has an index to all the names they have recorded. Though I entered Creighton, it has a facility to search for variants, and it came back with the following:

Type Surname First Name Year County
Marriage Credden Terence 1867 Co. Leitrim
and
Type Surname First Name Year County
Baptism Crudden Terence 1881 Co. Leitrim
Birth Crudden Terence 1881 Co. Leitrim

The url is: http://leitrim.brsgenealogy.com.
You have to register first. To get more detail than this, you will need to pay them €10 per record, and what you then get is their transcription.

If you have access to the Civil records, it might be worth checking for these names and dates first, before spending money unnecessarily.

Of course these may be coincidence.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: