Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

The Placename Database of Ireland new trial project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: The Placename Database of Ireland new trial project Reply with quote

Copy of a recent email from Liam Ó hAisibéil on "The Placename Database of Ireland project".
It will be of great use in the coming years for researchers in this field. As I mentioned, it is only a trial version at the moment and feedback would be appreciated by the Placenames Branch.

First of all, I must thank you for your help on the amazing CD - I've mentioned your name and the CD frequently in my dealings with the Placenames Branch in Dublin and I know they are quite interested in your work.
I completed my thesis on the townland names in the baronies of Ballintober North, Ballintober South and Roscommon and have begun work on a PhD dissertation dealing with the entire county which has apprx. 2,062 townland names.

I just wanted to bring a great website to your attention and it would be great if you could pass it on to other interested individuals.
It is only a trial version at present and not all Irish forms of the names are on it but eventually, it will have the official Irish and English forms, grid references, a map and finally ALL historical references in major sources of the name including their form and date. Please see www.logainm.ie for further details.
The project is called Bunachar Logainmneacha na hÉireann or The Placename Database of Ireland and is run by An Brainse Logainmneacha and Fiontar who are attached to Dublin City University. Fiontar are the group who provided a searchable dictionary database online at www.focal.ie.
Unquote
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: