Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McGarry Frenchpark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morton1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: McGarry Frenchpark Reply with quote

My grandmother Mary McGarry left Frenchpark for Todmorden (West Yorkshire) in 1915/1916 with her four children before returning to Carrowgarve in 1922.

Does anyone know why a family would move to Todmorden a small mill town in West Yorkshire and how they may have got there? I realise it is a long shot but perhaps someone has come across such a move! Any information would be helpful etc.

Many thanks

Monica
Sean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monica, I don't know why they moved to Todmorden but let make some suggestions. In 1915/16 WW I was on and there was a shortage of labor in England and demand for woven goods for the army, navy, etc. Todmorden was a very important weaving town dominated by businesses started by the Fielden family and the unions in those plants had been started by Irishman John Doherty decades before. Todmorden had the "largest weaving shed" in the world, it was said. Also, Todmorden is only 20 odd miles from Manchester, a "friendly" town for the Irish who, as you probably know, still support Man. Utd. So there you have it: economics.
morton1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: McGarry Frenchpark Reply with quote

Thank you for your information. As they lived in Canal Row which is near two mills I suspect that is why they moved to Todmorden for work. There was also a strong Roman Catholic Church where one of of the McGarry's danced etc for the Irish nights.

Thanks

Mona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: