Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Fitzmaurice/Lavan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitz1959

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Fitzmaurice/Lavan Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I just obtained a copy of my GGGgrandfathers last will and testament. He was Edward Fitzmaurice, born about 1770 in Carrick on Shannon, Roscommon county. He enlisted in the British army in 1805 and spent time in Nova Scotia, Canada and Jamaica. He emigrated to New Brunswick Canada about 1832. (please see my previous posts).
New imfo from his will identifies his wifes maiden name as Mary Lavan (lavin). I believe she was born in the townland of Killukin which is just a couple of miles from Carrick on Shannon. His will also identifies his 2 previously unknown sons as Patrick and Edward. I have found a baptism record for Edward in 1817 in Killukin, but he may have been born earlier in Jamaica and not baptised until his family returned to Ireland. I believe that both these sons stayed in Ireland after 1832 when Edward (the father) moved to New Brunswick, Canada. Patrick may have been the eldest son. Patrick in particular received very little in his fathers will. Perhaps he received his inheritance before his father left Ireland? Perhaps his fathers farm in Killukin?
Does anyone have any Fitzmaurice or Lavan ancestors from this area around Killukin and Carrick on Shannon?
Bernie FitzMaurice
Nuala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie,
I am interested in learning how you know your gggrandfather joined the British Army in 1805. I am researching a Henry Murray, born 1772 in Moneymore, Kilmeane, Roscommon who also was a Millitary Pensioner. At this stage, that is all I know about his military record. It was listed on his death registration in 1871 (age 99). If you have done any research in this area, I would be grateful for any direction you can offer.
Best regards, Nuala
fitz1959

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nuala,
It was as much luck as it was research! I started with just a mention that the buttons of a military uniform were found in his grave when the church and cemetery where he was buried was relocated. A seperate tidbit was that he obtained a land grant in New Brunswick. I sent away to the New Brunswick Archives and got a copy of the land grant AND a copy of his original land grant application. This application was used to explain why he deserved a land grant. In it he identified the regiments that he served in. I then went to the website for the British Archives and found his name on a search. I then ordered his discharge paperwork from the archives. Another big help was the Regiments.org website, and the message board for the British army on rootsweb. There are also message boards for the British navy, etc. The first thing you will need to find out is the military regiment or unit that he was assigned to.
Here are some links that may help.
http://web.archive.org/web/20051229200530/http://www.regiments.org/
This is the address for the archive of the regiments.org.... the actual website has been offline for a while but this archives site has a lot of their info.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
This is the address for the British archives search page.
http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.military.uk.britarmy/mb.ashx
This is the address for the British army message board on rootsweb.
Once you find out the regiment or unit that he was in, you may be able to find a microfilm of pensioners from his unit at the LDS library catalogue on Familysearch.org
I hope this helps, Good luck!
Bernie
Nuala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a millon Bernie. That is great information. I will follow through with it.
Nuala
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: