Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Dromahaire - Drum kell house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Dromahaire - Drum kell house Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of somewhere called Drum Kell house, Dromahaire, County Leitrim.

This address appears on the incoming passenger lists from new York to Liverpool in 1919 and seems to be the address my grandma gave as her destination.

I have searched in vain for anywhere that resembles this name. The family came from Co Cavan so I dont think it can have belonged to a relative.

Any ideas as to where this address may have been?
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumkeel House, Dromahaire, is the postal address. With no ZIP code or Post Code, Irish postal addresses include mail distribution centres as part of the address.
For picture of Drumkeel House.
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?county=LE&name=drumkeel+house&town=&townland=&type=quick&page=1
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey with attic former farmhouse, built c.1780, no longer in use. Pitched slate roof with stone chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast-rendered stone walls. Timber sash windows with tooled limestone sills. Replacement timber door with sidelights and overlight and tooled sandstone block-and-start surround with hood moulding. Gabled entrance porch removed. Two-storey stone outbuildings and coach house with pitched roofs to rear yard accessed through decorative wrought-iron gates flanked by ashlar piers. The house is located on an elevated site up a driveway with wrought-iron gates flanked by ashlar piers to roadside.
Appraisal
Drumkeel House is a simply-built modest farmhouse. However features such as the fine door surround, stone sills and timber sash windows all contribute to its architectural significance and overall appearance. The house forms an important group with the fine coach house and outbuilding. Located on a elevated site off the road, it is accessed via a long driveway. A modern bungalow has been built to the west of the house. Drumkeel House is one of five houses built by the Palmer Brothers. Two of these, Glasdrumman House and Tawnylea House, were constructed to a similar design.
Data for Drumkeel townland:
Killargue (Kilmore diocese) Catholic parish,
Change of occupiers of land 1857-1920 LDS film 846170,
1857 Griffith’s Valuation LDS film 844986 Item 2,
1837 Tithe Applotment Book 1837 - LDS film 256635 (Tithe records also on National Library Ireland film available at major libraries worldwide).
1911 Census - LDS film 2170799 Item 2
Map http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/killarga.html
Visit: http://www.connorsgenealogy.net/Leitrim/KillargaGV-a.htm
Suggest you don’t pay a cent for Irish research until you know what you are doing.
Check your local library for the “Resource County Leitrim CD”.
The Leitrim-Roscommon 1901 Census webpage has nine entries for Drumkeel townland:
Byrne Edward(82?)
Byrne Patrick(40)
Feehily Mary(50)
Flynn Patrick(60)
Flynn Margaret(60)
Flynn Bridget(64)
Kelly John(30)
McNama Hugh(50)
Mostyn/Moystn Charles(52)

Good luck in your research.
John Hunter
Deirdre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, many thanks again for your expertise. At least I have now located the property in question.

It is still a mystery as to why my grandmother would have gone there in April 1919 when she returned from the USA where she had been since 1910 returning twice in between for visits.(As shown on the newly released UK passenger lists on Ancestry).

She actually married my grandfather in November 1919 at Glangevlin some 15 miles or so away from Drumkeel house and the place where she was born and all her family llived. My cousin told me it was an arranged marriage as was not uncommon in those days to secure land rights for future generations. However her sister came over with her on the same ship and her address was listed as Glangevlin. Grandma always said that she was unable to get back to the USA because they closed immigration but her sister returned to USA at the end of 1920 by which time grandmother was married with her first child.

The theory we were working on was that perhaps my grandmother was pregnant and came back to Ireland to have the baby. That is the reason I wanted more information about Drumkeel house. If anyone has some local knowledge of the house and its former residents I would be most grateful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: