Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Northyard Townland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdougan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Northyard Townland Reply with quote

Is it possible that Northyard Townland could be the same as "Mahon's Yard".
I have a marriage entry for 1865, where the bride's address is given as "Mahon's Yard", but I cannot find any reference to this townland when searching on Griffiths.

Thanks,

Marie
cassiekt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Mahon's Yard Reply with quote

In a number of sources, Mahon's Yard has been used to refer to property that was part of the Strokestown Park estate of the Mahon family, although I can't be certain that is the correct usage. What names are you researching in that area, during what time period(s)? Perhaps we can offer assistance to narrow down the place.
mdougan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Re Mahon's Yard Reply with quote

Thanks cassiekt

I have a marriage record from Elphin parish with the following info:
20 Feb 1865. Thomas Hilford m Bridget Fihily. His residence Mahon's Yard. Her residence Cargin. His father's name John Hilford. Her father's name Thomas Fihily. John Hilford and Thomas Fihily noted as witnesses.

However, the marriage certificate records the following:
Thomas Helford - Full age, bachelor, rank or profession - none. Residence at time of marriage - Cargin. Father's name James Telford, small farmer.
Bridget Fehely - age 20, spinster, rank or profession - none. Residence at time of marriage - Mahon's Yard. Father's name Thomas Fehely, small farmer.
Witnesses Thomas Fehely and Michael Helford.

so slightly different infomation on both records. Took me a while to find this family - they had children in late 1860s and lived in Lavagh townland then moved to Scotland around 1872/3, where they are registered in census and BMD records as either Ellwood or Telfer/Telford!
Smile
I think Cargin might be the townland near Lavagh sometimes written as Carrigeen, but have not had much luck looking for any info re Mahon's Yard.

Possible records in Griffiths include:
John Helford, Lavagh Townland, Kilglass and
Patrick Feehilly, Carrigeen townland, Shankill Civil parish, Elphin Catholic parish.

Any suggestions/pointers welcome!

Marie
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LDS British Isles Vital Records set of 16 CDs lists the following birth:
HELFORD, Michael Joseph. Birth Gender: Male
Birth Date: 20 Nov 1870 Birth registered on page 377 of the birth register at Rooskey Registrar’s District, County Roscommon, Ire.
Recorded in: Roscommon, Ireland, Collection: Civil Registration
Father: Thomas HELFORD
Mother: Bridget FEHELY
Source: FHL Film 101217 Dates: 1870 – 1871
The LDS film is a photo of the original register and can be viewed worldwide.
The LDS film will show the place of birth and father's occupation.
Good luck in your research.
John Hunter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: