Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Michael Kane - Leitrim- Worcester Leicester MA Underhill VT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen Brewin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Michael Kane - Leitrim- Worcester Leicester MA Underhill VT Reply with quote

My interest in this family is somewhat tangential as Michael Kane married the widowed sister in law (Ann Barry Brewin) of my great great grandfather. I am, however, always interested in the whole "chain of migration" concept and my ancestors came from Kiltoghert, Leitrim. I suspected that Michael Kane had a Leitrim connection. I received his naturalization papers and he became a citizen on September 26, 1853 at the Court of Common Pleas, Worcester. He was from Leicester, formerly of Worcester. He arrived in the US on July 16, 1847 at Boston. My own Leitrim ancestor arrived in June the same year at Burlington, Vermont - so he came through Canada. Birthday: October 20, 1810. His first wife was Mary Early - she died in Leicester in 1863. At some point after that, he went to Underhill, VT. His son, Owen, also went there. They both married there. Michael died in Underhill, Vt on September 30, 1888. He was buried in St. John's Cemetery, Worcester, MA.

According to Vincent Feeney, author of Pre-Famine Irish in Vermont:
"Each winter bands of Underhill men would put to-
gether a few belongings, kiss their loved ones goodbye, and trek down to Worcester, Massachusetts, not to return until spring." www.vermonthistory.org/journal/74/04_Feeney.pdf Other families in Underhill moved from Worcester to Underhill or vice versa.

My question is about exactly where Michael is from. The naturalization record states: "Killturbersitt" Leitrim. I can't find a townland with that name or anything reasonably close. There are two parishes with names that might fit: Kiltoghert or Kiltubbrid - these two abut. My great great grandmother's grave has "Killtaughart" on it. Has anyone else seen anything like Killturbersitt? Any suggestions?

Michael Kane's son Owen married Catherine O'Neill in 1873 in Worcester. His first wife, Ellen Shanley, died in Underhill, Vermont in 1872 and he was left with a small son. The Shanley family of Underhill was also from Leitrim. He moved back to Worcester. Thomas the son (with Ellen Shanley) married Katie Nolan in Worcester on September 29, 1898. The marriage of Owen and Catherine O'Neill does not appear to have been uneventful, if you read the Worcester papers available on genealogybank.com. Catherine was supposedly the daughter of an Irish soldier during the Napoleonic Wars who eventually settled in Worcester from County Louth.

Thank you - people on this board have always been so generous with time and talent. I included the specific information about this family so that if someone who is actually related comes upon this site, they will be able to have a headstart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: