Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Mary McDonnell/John Hogg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Mary McDonnell/John Hogg Reply with quote

I am seeking information in regards to Mary McDonnell who married John Hogg. They moved to the United States in 1845, where his name is registered as Hoag.
On her headstone when she died in 1870, in the same plot is Patrick McDonnell, who is believed to be her brother.
Thank you, any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
John
siskabob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where your family lived before they emigrated and where they settled in the U. S.? I have Catherine McDonnell (DOB about 1828) who married John McCormick at the Strokestown Roman Catholic Church on January 23, 1845. Witnesses were James McDonnell and Jane Conniff. John and Catherine had seven sons and perhaps more children. The family moved to Bolton, England some time between 1864 and 1871. John McCormick died in 1879. It appears that Catherine and the four surviving sons emigrated to the U. S. between 1881 and 1886. Son Patrick settled in Albany, NY and the others may have gone to the New York City area.
mr mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynne.
Mary and Patrick McDonnell finally settled in Susquehanna County,
Pennsylvania. Mary was born about 1821.
It is believed that the Hoggs where renters of large acre of lands in Kilmore and that they had County seats in both Kilmore and Kilglass.
My own Thomas McDonnell married Ann Derwin in the Parish of Kilglass in 1836 and I believe that his parents where James McDonnell and Anne Deffley.
On the website for marriages in Kilglass Parish prior to 1850, it lists other McDonnells", I was wondering if they where all related.
Thanks, John
siskabob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I found Catherine McDonnell McCormick in the recently released database on New York State Alms Houses on Ancestry. Her age in 1897 was given as 78, so she would have been born in 1819. She was on Blackwell's Island in New York City. Her son James lived in Manhattan. Two other sons lived in the US and one in England. What is the website listing pre 1850 Kilglass marriages? I would like to look at that. There may be a connection with our families.
mr mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynne,
The following web-site has the information that you requested.

http://www.puregolduk.com/bren/kilglass_co_sligo1.htm

I hope it helps.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: