Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Ancient Abbey of Tarmon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Mcgrail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 1998 6:02 pm    Post subject: Ancient Abbey of Tarmon Reply with quote

I'm seeking any information on the Ancient Abbey of Tarmon, in Co. Leitrim. (history, location, etc.) In particular, I'm interested in Curragh's Old Graveyard which is located at the Abbey. Any direction to source material, etc, will help. Thanks!

shamrock@webspan.net

P. Brosnahan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 1998 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancient Abbey of Tarmon Reply with quote

: I'm seeking any information on the Ancient Abbey of Tarmon, in Co. Leitrim. (history, location, etc.) In particular, I'm interested in Curragh's Old Graveyard which is located at the Abbey. Any direction to source material, etc, will help. Thanks!
:
The book The Heart of Ireland mentions the Abbey of Tarmon, in Leitrim: From the moment of Bryan na Murtha's execution, Brian Oge, his son, nursed only one desire, that of vengeance on those Who had put his father to death. While Breffny was still in the
180 THE HEART OF IRELAND
possession of Sir Richard Bingham, O'Rourke, nothing daunted, invaded and overran it, punishing, in the midst of their armed protectors, those who sided with the English.
Grose (page 24, Vol. I) says of the Abbey of Dromahaire:-
"This monastery, properly named Creevelea, is in the baronv of Dromahaire, and near the town of that name, situated on the River Bonnid, which falls into Lough Gill. It was founded by Margaret ny Brien, for Franciscans of the Strict Observance. She was a daughter of Lord O'Brien and wife of Eugene, Lord O'Rourke, and dying in 1512, lies here interred.
"The church stands on the side of a hill and consists of two large chapels divided by a belfry under which you pass through an elliptical arch, the lower terminations of which are ornamented with foliage and a small angel in the attitude of prayer. The O'Rourkes were ancient proprietors of West Breffny, now the County of Leitrim, and one of them lies here at full length on a tomb over the burial place of his family. There are also several curious figures inserted into the walls over the graves of the Murroghs, Corins, and other eminent families of the vicinity.
"One of the O'Rourke's was an active rebel in 1588. On being introduced to Queen Elizabeth he refused to bend his knee. Being asked why he did not, he answered that he was not accustomed to it. 'How,' says a smart English lord, 'not to images.' 'Ay,' replied O'Rourke, but there is a great deal of difference between your Queen and the images of saints.'"
"By an Inquisition, 1 James I, the last Abbot was found to be seized of one carrucate of land and the rectories of Krellew, Clonlogher, Ballychinechain, Kilrumema, Lisamernis, and Killefargin, and all the tithes of the same, value 40s. per annum." (Grose, page 24, Vol. I.)
Killenumery, two miles from Dromahaire, contains coal, iron and crystal spar. The Abbey of Creevelea is in this parish.
Innismagrath, a parish in the barony of Dromahaire, County of Leitrim and Province of Connaught, five and a quarter miles (S.E.) from Dromahaire, on the road from Carrick-on-Shannon to Manorhamilton, containing 7,979 inhabitants. This parish comprises 23,013 statute acres, principally under tillage, and includes much mountain and bog. Here are coal and iron mines, which are not worked; also freestone and limestone.
It is situated on Lough Allen, and is almost surrounded by bleak mountains, but has some pleasing views, especially where the Shannon enters the lake at the north-western extremitv.
On the small Island of Inch are the ruins of a church, said to have been built by St. Beoy, to whom many springs in the neighbourhood are dedicated, at which his festival is celebrated on March 8th. This island has long been a favourite burial place, and the parish was formerly called "The parish of the Island."
FROM SHANCOUGH TO DROMAHAIRE 181
On the western borders of Lough Allen stood the Abbeys of Conagh and Tarmon, the latter of which was occupied by nuns until they were expelled by Cromwell's soldiers. Crystals and petrifactions abound in the mountains, in which there are extensive caverns and among which are cataracts 200 feet high.
Near Gubacowan is a stony chalybeate spring called CAVAN SPA.- Lewis, Top. Dic., p. 24.

: Hope this helps. Heart of Ireland book is rare and out of print.
:

brossey-texas-pubs@worldnet.att.net

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: