Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Jim Coffey 'The Roscommon Giant'

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maz Coffey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Jim Coffey 'The Roscommon Giant' Reply with quote

Jim Coffey was my grandfather, born in Tully, Co. Rosommon, 27/01/1890. During the early teens he was a boxer in NYC, a 'White Hope' contender known as 'The Roscommon Giant.' His first fight was in January 1912 and his last fight was November 1921.He then retired back to Ireland where he married Kate Kenny, local schoolteacher, in 1923 and they lived at Glebe House, Loughlynn.They had had four children Kathleen, Paul, James and Pat. Jim died 20/12/1959 in Dublin.

I am particularly interested to hear from anyone who can provide information or details about his life in NYC and/or boxing career, but any information or contacts at all will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

mzcoffey@hotmail.com

EBrewin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Coffey 'The Roscommon Giant' Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Jim Coffey was my grandfather, born in Tully, Co. Rosommon, 27/01/1890. During the early teens he was a boxer in NYC, a 'White Hope' contender known as 'The Roscommon Giant.' His first fight was in January 1912 and his last fight was November 1921.He then retired back to Ireland where he married Kate Kenny, local schoolteacher, in 1923 and they lived at Glebe House, Loughlynn.They had had four children Kathleen, Paul, James and Pat. Jim died 20/12/1959 in Dublin.

: I am particularly interested to hear from anyone who can provide information or details about his life in NYC and/or boxing career, but any information or contacts at all will be gratefully received.

: Many thanks.

You can find some information about him and his boxing career at :
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/coffey-j.htm There is a picture and a list of his boxing matches. It looks as though he founght my husband's grandfather in Montreal Que on September 15, 1915. Try entering his name + boxing on the "Google" search engine. You may find even more information. Good luck. E. Brewin

epbrewin@ameritech.net

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: