Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Brefne//O Ruairc [O'Rourke]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas Travers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Brefne//O Ruairc [O'Rourke] Reply with quote

Looking for data on O Ruairc Clan anyone with extensive research would appreciate contact me.

tinkertoo1@juno.com

Brian Wynn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brefne//O Ruairc [O'Rourke] Reply with quote

O Ruairc is not the name of a clan. It is an Irish surname of Norse origin (Norse Hrothrekr) and the family name was found in early times in different parts of Ireland.

The O'Rourkes of Breifney, for example, were chiefs of the clan Ui Briuin Breifne in the present counties of Leitrim and Cavan. In the 10th and 11th centuries, three of them were kings of Connacht.

They also formed part of the Ui Maine in Co. Galway. I will send you some reference material.

brianfw@ozemail.com.au

Seosamh Mac Muirí

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Brefne//O Ruairc [O'Rourke] Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

:
: an Irish surname of Norse origin (Norse Hrothrekr) and the family name was found in early times in different parts of Ireland.

A Bhriain, a dhuine uasail,

Ní ghlacann an tOllamh Donncha Ó Corráin leis an tuairim sin. Ní raibh ann riamh, ar ndóigh ach an méid sin, tuairim.

Is é leagan amach an Ollaimh é gur chumasc de ruadh+arcc (arg) a thug an t-ainm pearsanta agus an sloinne dúinn. (Ó Corráin & Maguire, 1981, 158) Glacaim féin lena léamh seisean, óir is é fear an aon leabhar é, mar a déarfá agus is dlite aird a thabhairt air siúd de réir an tseanrá.

Seosamh.macmuiri@ul.ie

Brian Wynn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Language Posting Reply with quote

May I please have a translation of this posting?

brianfw@ozemail.com.au

Seosamh Mac Muirí

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Language Posting Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: May I please have a translation of this posting?

Indeed and fáilte a Bhriain. I've mailed it.

Seosamh.macmuiri@ul.ie

Ann O'Rorke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brefne//O Ruairc [O'Rourke] Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: :: : Looking for information on O'Rourke or O'Rorke from Roscommon - can you help. The info I have is Thomas O'Rorke was married to Ann Keefe c 1825 and he was a stone mason by trade. Their sons and daughters moved mainly to Edinburgh and a couple of family members to Philidelphia PA. Have searched Griffiths data bases and many LDS films but no births or marriage records have been found. Any info grately received. Other family names Wynn, Early, Gilhooly and Keefe.
Ann O'Rorke

annbrownell@jhotmail.com

Anna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brefne//O Ruairc [O'Rourke] Reply with quote

: Looking for data on O Ruairc Clan anyone with extensive research would appreciate contact me.

I am a descendant of the Brefne O'Rourkes and am looking for roots and relatives. My great grandmother was Mary Brady. Her mother was an O'Rourke and her father Mr Brady. She was born in Drumkeeran in 1840. How can I get more information? Anna

caeri@aol.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: