Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Brennans from Bunnageddy, Scramoge, Cnty Roscommon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Hanley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Brennans from Bunnageddy, Scramoge, Cnty Roscommon Reply with quote

My grandmother Catherine Brennan was born in Scramoge (Bunnygeddy is in this area). Her father was Luke Brennan and mother was Mary Rattigan (or Ratican). My grandmother's brothers were Rodger, Henry,
Luke and John. This is according to the 1901 Irish census. Also, according to this census the head of the household was widower/farmer
Rodger Brennan aged 76. Rodger's son Luke (40) and Rodger's Daughter-in-law Mary (27) also lived in the house along with their 5 children.
Catherine (who later was known as Katie or Kate) was the oldest at 6 and John was the youngest at 1. My grandmother also had a sister named Mary Ann who was born after the census in 1903 or so in Bunnageddy, Scramoge. According to my mother, Catherine Brennan McVey Hanley Smith, my grandmother Catherine Brennan also had a brother named Joseph but nothing is known as to when he was born. My grandmother Catherine came to America in 1913 aged 19. John (22) and Mary Ann (20)came to America in 1922. Their final destination was my grandmother's house at 12 Edison Place (where my mother was born) in Brooklyn or Glendale, which was nearby.By this time my grandmother had married and was known as Kate McVey. My grandfather was Bernard McVey from Ballinamuck, Cnty Longford. Luke Brennan (23) arrived in America 1923 and lived, at one point with brother John who was now living at 136 Edison Avenue in Brooklyn (or was it Glendale?).
As far as Joseph is concerned, either he was born just before or just after Mary Anne. Ellis Island records do not go beyond 1924 and since I cannot find him (from Bunnageddy or Scramoge) in any ship's manifest, I am assuming that he came to America after 1924. Finally, my grandmother died in 1926 at the age of 31. She was survived by her husband Bernard McVey and her 3 children Catherine McVey (my mother), Mary McVey and Bernard McVey Jr. My mother has mentioned that most of the Brennan's went back to Ireland but a couple stayed behind. She says that Joseph was one of them.Is there anyone who can add or respond to the history of this family?

kilmacolm@earthlink.net

Rosemary Vandenburg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brennans from Bunnageddy, Scramoge, Cnty Roscommon Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My grandmother Catherine Brennan was born in Scramoge (Bunnygeddy is in this area). Her father was Luke Brennan and mother was Mary Rattigan (or Ratican). My grandmother's brothers were Rodger, Henry,
: Luke and John. This is according to the 1901 Irish census. Also, according to this census the head of the household was widower/farmer
: Rodger Brennan aged 76. Rodger's son Luke (40) and Rodger's Daughter-in-law Mary (27) also lived in the house along with their 5 children.
: Catherine (who later was known as Katie or Kate) was the oldest at 6 and John was the youngest at 1. My grandmother also had a sister named Mary Ann who was born after the census in 1903 or so in Bunnageddy, Scramoge. According to my mother, Catherine Brennan McVey Hanley Smith, my grandmother Catherine Brennan also had a brother named Joseph but nothing is known as to when he was born. My grandmother Catherine came to America in 1913 aged 19. John (22) and Mary Ann (20)came to America in 1922. Their final destination was my grandmother's house at 12 Edison Place (where my mother was born) in Brooklyn or Glendale, which was nearby.By this time my grandmother had married and was known as Kate McVey. My grandfather was Bernard McVey from Ballinamuck, Cnty Longford. Luke Brennan (23) arrived in America 1923 and lived, at one point with brother John who was now living at 136 Edison Avenue in Brooklyn (or was it Glendale?).
: As far as Joseph is concerned, either he was born just before or just after Mary Anne. Ellis Island records do not go beyond 1924 and since I cannot find him (from Bunnageddy or Scramoge) in any ship's manifest, I am assuming that he came to America after 1924. Finally, my grandmother died in 1926 at the age of 31. She was survived by her husband Bernard McVey and her 3 children Catherine McVey (my mother), Mary McVey and Bernard McVey Jr. My mother has mentioned that most of the Brennan's went back to Ireland but a couple stayed behind. She says that Joseph was one of them.Is there anyone who can add or respond to the history of this family?

I was in Ireland last summer and recorded some of the stones in the
graveyard next to the church in Scramogue. The only Brennan I recorded
was:
Steven Brennan
Kilmachnay
died 21st January 1947 age 82 yrs
his wife Mary
died 17th September 1955
his sister Catherine Brennan
died 17th May 1953
Gretta Brennan
died 11th June 1989
Michael Brennan
died 6th December 1993

Sorry, I can't say there weren't any others as I didn't record the
entire cemetery. Recording in the rain became a challenge.

vandyr@att.net

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: