Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Bank depositors in Lowell, MA, starting 1829

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Lee Dunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Bank depositors in Lowell, MA, starting 1829 Reply with quote

Anyone seeking the Irish in Lowell will welcome news that the University of Massachusetts Lowell's Center for Lowell History has just posted a database of depositors of the Lowell Institute for Savings, beginning in 1829. There are nearly 40,000 entries. Another 50,000 entries will be added in future. They're not all Irish, but many of them are.

Thanks to Martha Mayo and her staff and volunteers for undertaking this huge project.

maryldunn@aol.com

Mary Lee Dunn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bank depositors in Lowell, MA, starting 1829 Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Anyone seeking the Irish in Lowell will welcome news that the University of Massachusetts Lowell's Center for Lowell History has just posted a database of depositors of the Lowell Institute for Savings, beginning in 1829. There are nearly 40,000 entries. Another 50,000 entries will be added in future. They're not all Irish, but many of them are.

: Thanks to Martha Mayo and her staff and volunteers for undertaking this huge project.

Since that link did not work, here's the address:
http://library.uml.edu/clh/LIS.htm

Or, go to google and search on Center for Lowell History, then look under Special resources.

Mary Lee

maryldunn@aol.com

Anne Burgess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bank depositors in Lowell, MA, starting 1829 Reply with quote

Mary Lee, I'm eternally grateful to you for highlighting this resource. I've just found my great-grandfather's sister, Hannah McPadden from Tullynascreen, in 1855 and 1859, and that tells us she was in the US by 1855 - which was something we didn't know.

Thanks again...Anne

aboton@magma.ca

Mary Lee Dunn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bank depositors in Lowell, MA, starting 1829 Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Mary Lee, I'm eternally grateful to you for highlighting this resource. I've just found my great-grandfather's sister, Hannah McPadden from Tullynascreen, in 1855 and 1859, and that tells us she was in the US by 1855 - which was something we didn't know.

: Thanks again...Anne

Hi, Anne,

Glad to hear that and I will copy your note to the Lowell Center personnel so they know the database already is proving useful, which I would guess is a librarian's best reward. There are few available accessible records for the earliest time period in this database so I think it should be very useful to those searching for immigrants in Lowell before the Civil War.

Where is Tullynascreen? Is that Leitrim or Roscommon?

Mary Lee

maryldunn@aol.com

Anne Burgess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bank depositors in Lowell, MA, starting 1829 Reply with quote

It's in Leitrim, Mary Lee - in Killanummery Parish.

Anne

aboton@magma.ca

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: