Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McGoverns to New Haven, CT

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorothy Wind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: McGoverns to New Haven, CT Reply with quote

I have discovered several McGovern brothers who emigrated from Leitrim to New Haven, CT in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Even though these are at best distant cousins to me, I'm posting the info in hopes it might help someone else's research. (My grandmother's mother was believed to have been Anne McGovern who married Patrick Reynolds, but Anne would have been belonged to an earlier generation of McGoverns, as her daughter was born in the 1870s. That daughter, Bridget Reynolds, as well as her brother Thomas Reynolds also emigrated to the New Haven, CT area.)

JOHN J. MCGOVERN, born c. 1868, went to US about 1890. He married Nellie c. 1894. In 1900 US census, they were at 33 Putnam St. in New Haven, and had a son David, born Feb. 1895, and another son John, born April 1898.

MICHAEL MCGOVERN, born c. 1874, went to US c.1892. In 1900 census, he is listed as 26, single,living with brother John above.

LUKE MCGOVERN, born c. 1876, arrived in NYC on February 17, 1900, aboard the Campania from Queenstown. He joined brother Michael in rooming with John and family in New Haven. By the time of the 1920 census, Luke is married to Mary and they have sons John and Luke and daughter Marguerite. They were living at 177 Columbus Ave. By 1931, according to New Haven City Directory, they were at 164 Howard Ave.

JAMES MCGOVERN, born c. 1886, arrived at Ellis Island on April 13, 1910 aboard the Oceanic from Queenstown. Passenger list shows him from Keshcarrigan (same village as my grandmother Bridget Reynolds!). List also has him traveling to New Haven to join brother Luke. In 1920 cenus, James is still with brother Luke and family on Columbus Ave. in New Haven.

I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who finds a relative here!

dwind@gls3c.com

Nufarr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: McGoverns to New Haven, CT Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. The "Mary" you mention as married to Luke
is my first cousin twice removed. A collateral line. She was Mary A. Flaherty,
daughter of John Flaherty of Easterfield/Cornacask, County Galway.
Several of Mary's siblings also came to New Haven after her, but her first
cousins, children of William Flahery, that lived across the road from her
in Easterfield/Cornacask all came to Boston. It's this line of Flaherty's
I am most interested in.
I'll email the details directly. Thanks so much for sharing!

nufarr@sympatico.ca

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: